"Magic" is the supernatural force which is applied to the real world by various means, in order to manipulate or alter the fabric of reality. Spells are one of the means used to access and manipulate magic.
A spell is a one-time magical effect. Magic is used by individuals with magical power, which include spellcasters and creatures with spells and spell-like abilities. Spells involve direct manipulation of mystic energies. These manipulations require long study, and tend to produce dramatic results. Spellcasting requires meditation and can also provide utilitarian effects, including the ability to heal the wounded. Most spells require the caster to speak some utterance, make complex gestures, or sometimes expend an object or a small quantity of some substance. The spellcaster's activity is visible to others, and the effects often are too, but the magic itself is not. Some spellcasters can learn and cast spells differently. Spells can be memorized, read out of a grimoire or tome, off a scroll (or possibly written elsewhere), or used imbedded in objects.
Casting a SpellEdit
To cast a spell, the spellcaster must be able to speak (if the spell has a verbal component), gesture (if it has a somatic component), and manipulate some material (if it has a material component) or focus (if any). Additionally, the more difficult the spell, the more the caster must concentrate to cast the spell. If a spell has multiple versions, the caster chooses which version to use when he or she casts it.
Spells have a number of defining characteristics that distinguish each spell from the others. Each spell description includes most or all of the following pieces of information.
- Type: includes spell (cast), imbedded (single use), imbedded-limited (multiple use), imbedded-permanent (multiple use)
- Level: How advanced/difficult the spell is to cast/control
- Range: How far the spell can be cast (a maximum distance from the casting source) – includes touch
- Duration: How long the spell effects last on the target – includes permanent
- Area of Effect: some spells can affect an area (circular/spherical) – includes self, target only
- Component(s): this would list any verbal, somatic, or material necessities for success of the spell